Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

December Reading Challenge

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

If you were to ask me whether the movie was better or the book, I would definitely say the book. In my opinion, the movie was based off another book, not The Outsiders I read. It was I who complained that the movie was ruining the book this time around rather than my one of my sisters. Characters, appearances and many other things were changed. I could not believe it!

Before I saw the movie I had a sense of what the actors would look like, but my predictions were not correct.When I thought of the Socs, I thought of rich, nice shirts, and tough looking. They got the rich and nice shirt part right ,but they did not look tough. The same thing happened with the Greasers. The gang did look tough, but they were missing their long, silky, and greasy hair. In the book, it said:

"Our hair was tuff- we didn't have to use much grease on it. Our hair labeled us greasers, too- it was our    trademark. The one thing we were proud of. Maybe we couldn't have Corvairs or madras shirts, but we could have hair." (71)

I wonder why they couldn't add this important detail in the movie. There is one thing I appreciate about the movie. They did not take away the special connection between Soda and Pony. There were so many aw moment in the book and the movie. I glad the filmmakers didn't change that.

Overall, the movie wasn't the worst, but it disappointed me.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

When books are turned into movies, things are changed, removed, and added in, so when The Lovely Bones became a movie it wasn't much of a surprise. Filmmakers this time around did a very good job. All the actors chosen fit the characters in the book. Mr. Harvey even gave me the skeevies!

The reason I think it all worked out well is because Saoirse Ronan (Susie) connected so well with the actors. The special connection between Susie and her father was so believable. When she was in the underground room with Mr. Harvey your heart was beating so fast that you wondered if you were in the room instead. When she was annoyed at her mother for making her wear the knitted hat, it was such a mother-daughter thing. I wonder how the movie would've turned out if they did not choose these actors.

While watching the movie I had a few complaints, but by the end I forgot all about them. The book wasn't really messed with, which is a good thing. Overall, the movie was really great. If you enjoyed the book then you will love the movie. It might even leave you crying!

No comments:

Post a Comment